Home delivery: a homemade baby!
Home birth accounts for 90% of all births in the world. However, this type of delivery is marginal in the USA. where 1% of couples opt for this solution. Home delivery is often chosen for philosophical reasons, sometimes simply by the desire to live more simply the birth of her child.
It is very popular in some countries of northern Europe, but it is also a source of controversy since it is often considered “dangerous” or even “archaic.” The adventure tempts you?
You are given all the keys to help you make your decision.
Home birth: what is it?
The home delivery (AAD) is a birth taking place at the home of the pregnant woman. If some women are reassured by the medicalization surrounding their childbirth, others will be confronted by birth in a familiar place surrounded by known and loved people.
There is also a non-assisted delivery (ANA), which occurs when the woman does not have time to leave for maternity or voluntarily decides to give birth alone and without help.
Why did you choose to give birth at home? Our users’ answer
- For the overall accompaniment: I wanted to be followed by a midwife and a doula. A relationship of trust and continuity is established throughout my pregnancy and allows me to feel surrounded and reassured.
- Because I have a choice: I can ask to give birth at home to my gynecologist. The selection of the delivery is free in France. However, the doctor may refuse to practice it. In this case, it will indicate a corresponding physician or a midwife practicing this type of act. Note: few doctors agree to practice home deliveries, there are more midwives.
- Because I want to play a role in my childbirth: Having the sensation of not being just passive, but actively participating in the birth.
- Because I do not want a super medical delivery: I want to avoid as much as possible the epidural, the episiotomy and all the medical gestures that surround the childbirth in maternity.
- Because I would like to feel good: The birth takes place in a familiar place, more psychologically secure.
- Because the father finds his real place at birth: The father is fully involved in the preparation and arrival of his child.
- Because I want to be free: To be able to move, to feed myself, to choose the positions I prefer to give birth without being lying on a work table with perfusions on each arm and monitoring that hinders my movements.
- Because tomorrows are more joyful: After home, delivery promotes the rest and the happiness of being already at home with her baby. It was noted that the number of postpartum depressions is lower when delivery occurred at home.
What are the conditions for giving birth at home?
Home delivery can only be achieved if the birth presents no particular risk known, i.e., if it is “physiological.” Thus, we exclude cases of difficult birth: siege, twins, multiple births, placenta prævia, diabetes, hypertension …
If a complication occurs during pregnancy or in the vicinity of childbirth, the birth will take place in a maternity ward.
How is a home birth delivered?
Early in pregnancy
Make an appointment with a midwife practicing home deliveries. The meetings help to put the project in place and recognize itself in this delivery.
Constitute a file in classic maternity to have a solution if necessary on D-Day. It is a need to carry out the last two monthly visits and the consultation pre-anesthesia in maternity. The meetings with your midwife continue of course in parallel.
As for a traditional delivery, the environmental organization to be deployed on the day of delivery at home must be planned:
What to do with other children?
How to join the midwife if the birth starts at night?
Alternatively, give birth (what room, on a bed, the floor …)
Do I have to provide music?
How to protect the soil/bed?
Answering the maximum of material responses is to arrive on the day of the delivery at home the clear mind and entirely turned towards birth.
The day of delivery
Naturally, during a home birth, no epidural … On the other hand, the doctor or midwife who has followed the pregnancy comes back with a resuscitation kit for the child and the mother in case, As well as perfusion products to deal with the main complications and a portable monitoring device to monitor the baby’s heart condition during birth. Parents provide towels, pans, and compresses.
What are the risks of homebirth?
Risks exist as with any delivery. It is for this reason that most physicians are opposed to this practice. During childbirth at home, a Caesarean section may be necessary, or bleeding may occur. However, studies have shown that for a healthy pregnancy, with a home delivery prepared seriously and supervised by a midwife or a regular doctor, there is no more risk than in a so-called classic childbirth.
A maternity appeal
It is necessary to provide for a possible transfer to maternity. For this reason, during the pre-registration, explain its reasons and accept a counter-inspection visit in this maternity.
Midwives or doctors practicing home birth will be able to tell you about a partner institution. Also, an emergency mode of transport must be provided, i.e., contact an ambulance company, for example, ready to intervene on the day of delivery.