The Benefits of Probiotics During Pregnancy
Taking probiotics during pregnancy is as good for your health as for your future baby. They are especially advised from the 8th month … We explain to you why and where to find them.
You may also be interested in: Pregnant, what cheeses can I eat?
Probiotics: what exactly?
The probiotics are good bacteria, mainly supporting the digestive system. Some probiotics are also used to rebalance the vaginal flora. There are many different strains such as Lactobacillus, naturally found in a significant number of fermented foods: yogurts, sauerkraut, cheeses … Nowadays, you can also find various probiotics in artificially enriched foods and dietary supplements. Nice to know: to improve the action of probiotics, it is advisable to take prebiotics in parallel. Namely complex carbohydrates (sugars) nourishing the good bacteria and promoting their development. Among them, mention may, in particular, be made of pectin (e.g., from food sources:
Probiotics during pregnancy: a digestive and immune system at the top!
- Taking probiotics during pregnancy facilitates the digestion and assimilation of nutrients (such as mineral salts) by your body. Nutrients that are then used, in part, to ensure fetal development … However, that is not all: probiotics also help to combat the problems of transit (constipation, diarrhea), relatively common during pregnancy.
- Also, a New Zealand scientific study published in the British Journal of Nutrition in March 2017 showed that the consumption of probiotics of the Lactobacillus rhamnose HN001 type helps to regulate the blood sugar level (glucose) of pregnant women, reducing the risk Onset of gestational diabetes. The protective effect observed is especially high in women who had already had gestational diabetes in the past …
- Finally, some of these good bacteria also participate actively in immune defenses. They produce substances that destroy many germs, reducing the risk of infections during pregnancy.
Why are probiotics especially recommended in late pregnancy?
- Unless there is a specific medical contraindication, you can eat foods rich in probiotics (and prebiotics) throughout your pregnancy. However, probiotic cures are particularly interesting in the month before delivery: having a well-balanced intestinal and vaginal flora at this stage of pregnancy promotes the development of a healthy intestinal flora for the baby (the digestive tract of the fetus Contains no bacteria, but is then colonized by maternal bacteria during delivery by the low route). With a high-quality intestinal flora, your baby will digest his milk more efficiently and will be less prone to small infections …
- Tip +: If you have any doubts about which strains of probiotics are preferred, ask your doctor for advice.
We recommend reading the article: 3 sophrology exercises to relax pregnant