8 tips to limit weight gain during pregnancy
During pregnancy, you gain weight, and that’s normal. But if getting fat when you are pregnant is a necessity (and not a fatality!), It is still not to take too many pounds, which would be harmful to your health and that of the baby. If you are afraid of the pounds, rest assured. Here are our ten tips for not growing too pregnant, but also for living your pregnancy serenely in the weight that becomes an obsession.
For a start, why do you get fat during pregnancy?
It is easy to say that a baby weighs an average of 3.5 kg, so why are we growing so much? Well, because the whole body is preparing for birth.
That is, on average, where go the kilos that you accumulate over the months:
Increase of the volume of breasts: 0.5 kg
Blood: 1.5 kg
Baby: 3.5 kg
Placenta: 0.6 kg
Liquid amniotic: 1 kg
Uterus: 1 kg
Reserves of fat: 3 kg
Maternal fluids: 1.5 kg
An average total of 12.5 kg of a normal “healthy” weight. Remember also that the pounds took early in pregnancy especially for the mother (amniotic fluid, placenta, uterus, blood volume …). At the end of pregnancy, weight gain mainly contributes to the growth of the baby.
Most often, it is the 17th week and the 28th week that the pregnant woman gains the most weight. It is not worrying to gain two to three pounds a month in late pregnancy, especially if you are a small size.
I have exceeded the recommended number of kilos, should I worry?
Stop diktats of thinness during pregnancy!
For nutritionist Jean-Philippe Zermati, there is no ideal weight gain during pregnancy. It’s very variable from one woman to another. One word of order: do not panic. Dr. Zermati explains why:
– Most women lose the pounds taken during pregnancy. Statistics show that on average, a woman does not keep more than 1.5 kg. Only 15% of women maintain an overweight of more than 5 kilograms one year after giving birth.
– We can not predict whether a pregnant woman will take a lot of weight. Some women, in a situation of restriction, will lose control of their diet during pregnancy and will accumulate the pounds, others will live the transformation of their bodies in a more serene way.
– Hormones related to pregnancy favor palatability. The excessive increase in the food intake often goes unnoticed, even though it is genuine.
– The appearance of water retention, or also edema, often leads to an impressive increase in the weight curve towards the 7th or the 8th month. These last kilos are usually very quickly lost after birth.
– Finally, it is difficult to predict the time needed to find the line after baby. Some women have trouble losing the few pounds taken during pregnancy; others lose very easily 20 pounds accumulated for nine months. But in any case, do not panic. Too much impatience can disrupt your needs.
Foods rich in fiber to consume without moderation!
What is the ideal weight gain during pregnancy?
Weight gain during pregnancy is very different from one woman to another, or even from one pregnancy to another. It grows an average of 9 to 13 kg, but thin women can take up to 18 kg without problem neither for their baby nor their future weight.
Other women, more round, take less weight but find their line more difficult. Your weight gain will be more to watch if your BMI (Body Mass Index) is high. It is not a question of aesthetics, of wanting at all costs to keep the line during the pregnancy, but of health for you and baby. Weight problems promote hypertension,
First, calculate your BMI (excluding pregnancy), by dividing your weight by the height (in meters) squared.
The recommended weight gain differs depending on the starting weight.
You are thin: you have better to take between 12.5 and 18 kg
You are thin: you have better make between 11.5 kg and 16 kg
You are overweight: you have better to choose between 7 kg and 11.5 kg.
You are obese: you have better take between 6 kg and 10 kg
Even overweight, it is not a question of dieting when you are pregnant. Pregnancy will be the opportunity to become aware of his dietary mistakes and find a more balanced diet, with the help of a specialist.
Pregnant, should we eat for two?
We are not equal in the face of weight gain. Some women take only 9 kg, others accumulate the pounds but lose everything in the maternity, others still water retention. Some of our disparities, we can never remember it enough: to be fit and not to grow too pregnant, you must eat twice as much, (and not for two) that is to say to adopt a balanced diet. In any case, there is no question of a restrictive diet during pregnancy but to monitor the quality of your food (and quantities) and to listen to your needs.
How do I know if my diet is balanced?
Here is a typical day that guarantees all daily contributions without excess and deficiencies.
Breakfast (or in the morning)
– A hot drink – A dairy – 2 slices of wholemeal bread or sweet cereals with one knob of butter or honey – A fruit
Lunch and dinner
– Vegetables (or soup or crudités with a bit of fat) – 100 g fish, meat (not too fat) or poultry or 2 eggs – a dairy – two slices of bread or a portion of starchy foods – a fruit
– Fruit – a lean milking – two slices of wholemeal bread with a knob of butter or two to three biscuits (Petit Butter type)
Foods to avoid: too sweet cereals, jam, pastries, whole milk, cream desserts, very fat dairy products, dishes in sauce, alcohol, puff pastry, confectionery …
How to vary my menus?
Dr. Bismuth, a nutritionist at the Bien Naître clinic in Paris, recommends the following equivalences to cover all your needs without excess.
Protein: 1 to 2 servings per day = 175 g of lean fish = 125 g of lean meat or oily fish = 85 g of chicken, guinea fowl, veal, pork = 100 g of canned fish = 2 eggs or 2 slices of ham
To avoid the skin and fat of the meat, the fries, the fatty parts of the meat.
Carbohydrates: 1 to 2 servings a day 150 g of starch = 3 potatoes = 3 tablespoons (mashed potatoes) = 6 tbsp of pasta, pulses or corn = 1 can of peas carrots 150 g of Jerusalem artichokes or chestnuts = 5 tbsp oat flakes
To avoid: fatty sauces and difficult to digest
Vegetables: 2 servings a day
At will: asparagus, eggplant, broccoli, cucumbers, Paris mushrooms, hearts of palm, celery, cabbage, beets, carrots, endives, spinach, fennel, turnips, peppers, pumpkin, salad, radish, green beans, leeks, soy sprouts, tomatoes. Limits: Salsify, peas, artichoke bottoms, avocado
Fruits: 2 fruits per day
= 1 banana (or apple, orange, pear) = 1 unsweetened compote = 3 dates = 1 glass of fruit juice = 1 fruit salad unsweetened = 80 g of grapes (10 to 15 grains) = 2 kiwis (or clementines) = 150 g of pineapple
fat 2 servings per day= 1 teaspoon (tbsp) of oil, butter, mayonnaise, vinaigrette = 2 tbsp cream (or 4 tbsp if lightened)
Dairy products two servings per day
= 1 yogurt = 200 ml skimmed milk = 100 g of cottage cheese = 2 small Swiss = 1/8 of Camembert
To avoid: fatty cheeses such as Cantal, Comté or Gruyère cheese
Pregnant, can I eat sugar?
As Dr. Zermati explains, apart from dangerous foods during pregnancy, there is no food to banish absolutely.
Nevertheless, during pregnancy, the consumption of sugars with a high glycemic index (sweets, cakes, desserts, jams …) can lead to hypoglycemia attacks. Result: instead of giving you energy, these sugars raise the insulin level, formerly, one or two hours later, a crisis of hypoglycemia. As a result, you are hungry again, and you are resting.
The advice of Dr. Bismuth, a nutritionist at the Bien Naître clinic in Paris:
– Take care of breakfast, avoiding fast sugars such as jam, Nutella or cereals too sweet. Prefer the wholemeal (or leavened) bread, the little sweet cereals or better, the oat flakes.
– If you are overweight, do not consume more than two fruits a day.
– Allow yourself only one gap per week if you gain too much weight.
To not get fat, should I give up my cravings?
Having cravings and cravings during pregnancy is completely normal! Several phenomena are taken into account in the implementation of these new food sensations.
– Doctors have trouble explaining the “desires” (or needs) of the pregnant woman. Hormones have their reasons that reason does not know!
– Pregnancy upsets habits. While a woman can stay at her fitness weight for years listening to her needs; pregnant, pregnancy can make him lose control of his appetite and food sensations.
– Pregnancy breeds new emotions, sometimes at the origin, new food reflexes. The future mother, under the influence of passion or anxiety or even euphoria, will tend to eat more or otherwise.
– Nausea, fatigue … are also factors that make it challenging to identify food sensations.
If it is impossible to give up his desires, it is entirely possible to give in “cleverly,” making fun from time to time. And to avoid the cravings and snacks each time it is essential to have three full meals a day and to have two snacks (one in the morning and one in the afternoon). It will also be necessary to choose food that satiates a long time (cereals, dried vegetable bananas, bread, dried fruits, etc.
You may also be interested in: Uterine fibroids and pregnancy: what impact?