Envy of pregnancy: what if the baby is late to arrive?
Getting pregnant can sometimes take longer than expected. Not easy to remain patient. When should we worry? Whom should we turn to? What is the sterility record? We report on the work of Doctor François Olivennes, obstetrician-gynecologist (Paris).
Step 1: Make love often
To boost your chances of conceiving, it is important to have regular sexual intercourse. Health professionals estimate that the frequency of your reports should be at least twice a week for approximately 6 to 12 months. So do not deprive cuddly side with your darling …
Tips: Check your medical history with your gynecologist. They can affect fertility. In women: genital infections such as salpingitis (inflammation of the fallopian tubes), endometriosis, cancer, abdominal surgery (complicated appendicitis) or irregular cycles may be a cause of infertility. In men: STDs (sexually transmitted diseases), cancer, or testicular abnormalities may also affect fertility. If this is your case, your gynecologist will direct you to a fertility specialist to establish a sterility assessment of your couple (step 4).
Step 2: Go for planned sex
If you have difficulty after six months of regular sexual intercourse, use an ovulation test. This test allows you to detect your ovulation peak to maximize your chances of getting pregnant. Try the experience for three or four months in addition to regular sexual intercourse.
Tips: How to calculate my ovulation date? Although the duration of the menstrual cycle varies among women (28 days on average), the phase after ovulation, the luteal phase, it lasts for 14 days. To calculate your ovulation date, subtract 14 from the total duration of your cycle. If you have a longer period, for example, 31 days, your ovulation date will be the 17th day after the first day of menstruation. Enjoy cuddling that day, but also two days before and two days after To boost your chances!
Step 3: Always nothing … Consult
After a year of regular and planned sexual intercourse (6 months, if you are over 38 years old), it is time to make an appointment with a specialist with your spouse. Even if a gynecologist can take care of you, prefer a sterility or infertility specialist.
Establish a balance of the couple The specialist will first carry out an infertility assessment of the couple. This health check will make it possible to target the causes of a possible infertility thanks to three questions.
- Is woman’s ovulation “normal”? For this, the doctor prescribes an ultrasound and a hormonal dosage (blood tests) to have an idea of the state of function of the ovaries.
- Are the woman’s genital tract “normal”? To check that there is no abnormality in the cervix and cavity of the uterus and fallopian tubes, a hysterosalpingography must be performed. This is a radiological examination, which involves the genital injection of an iodine-based contrast agent that opacifies the uterine cavity and the tubes. Several x-rays are then taken as the product progresses.
- Is man’s sperm “normal”? It is a spermogram that is going to take charge of revealing a possible problem. The examination is carried out in a laboratory of medical analyzes and aims to quantify the normal and abnormal spermatozoa, study their movements and their forms.
It will take about two months to be fixed on the situation of your couple. The examination is carried out in a medical analysis laboratory and aims to quantify the normal and abnormal spermatozoa, study their movements and their forms.
You may also be interested in: Natural fertility boosters in men and women
Step 5: Diagnosis and possible treatments
Once the sterility assessment has been carried out, three categories of couples are distinguished. New approaches can be envisaged to conceive a child.
- All examinations are standard. It is then an unexplained sterility. Depending on your age, you may be referred to procreation assistance (ovarian stimulation, insemination or IVF).
- Examinations have revealed a cause that can be cured. For example, blocked tubes or an adenoma … You can undergo an operation or have a specific treatment to be treated. Once restored, it is entirely possible to have a natural pregnancy.
- Your couple must have access to medical assistance for procreation. The first step, ovarian stimulation. The objective? Stimulate the production of follicles to optimize the chances of pregnancy. There are two types of treatment: taking tablets (anti-estrogen drugs) and hormone injections. These treatments are often recommended when infertility is related to an absence of ovulation or irregular ovulation in women or in addition to insemination.
Treatments with tablets should be taken during the cycle. They will induce a secretion of FSH, the hormone responsible for the growth of the follicles, thus causing stimulation of the ovary. Injections of hormones, meanwhile, Act directly on the production of follicles at the level of the ovary. You will have to sting yourself in the fold of the belly. Hormone injections are a heavier treatment that induces increased monitoring (ultrasounds and regular hormonal dosages).
If after several cycles there has been no pregnancy, artificial insemination can be proposed to you. It is also recommended in cases of cervical anomalies or cervical mucus (which block the passage of spermatozoa), a decrease in the quality of the sperm or problems of ejaculation or erection. This second step consists in introducing a fine catheter inside the uterus to deposit the sperm. A straightforward and painless gesture. Whether or not the rules are adhered to, A pregnancy test can then indicate whether or not the insemination has been successful. Be aware that there are no specific waiting times for repeating an insemination.
After 4 to 6 months of ineffective medical assistance, in vitro fertilization (IVF) can be considered. It is a fertilization of the eggs by the spermatozoa (of the spouse or a donor) but outside the body of the woman that is to say in the laboratory. One or two embryos (resulting from this fertilization) will then be reintroduced into the uterine cavity.
We recommend reading the article: Am I pregnant?